The Technical Writer is responsible for writing and reviewing standard operating procedures, organizing and editing installation, configuration and user's manuals. This role includes gathering and analyzing input in the creation, modification, consolidation, approval, and distribution of various documents.
Essential Functions & Responsibilities
- Interviewing clients, technicians, engineers and product managers on products, systems and processes to gather, analyze, and composes technical information
- Conducts research and ensures the use of proper technical terminology
- Translates technical information into clear, readable documents to be used by technical and non-technical users
- Ensures consistency, clarity, and quality in and across all types of documentation
- Engages in formatting, editing, and quality assurance on own work and the work of others
- Receives text from technical staff and rewrites documentation in a clear and concise style
- Improves editorial and visual standards for documents and recommends new designs, layouts and procedures as needed
- Write user facing installation, configuration and troubleshooting guides for field use.
- Responsible for editing, rewriting, and authenticating program/projected related documentation including installation instructions, training materials, user manuals, product configuration & specifications, testing &validation guides, Visio diagrams, screen captures (images & videos), spreadsheets, presentations and other artifacts as necessary
- Effective and efficient execution and management of daily priorities, day to day tasks and assigned projects; traveling to customer sites as assigned and required;
- Responsible for on time system entry of all notes, tasks and time completed daily;
- This position is responsible for maintaining technical certifications and proficiency; research and staying aware of changing industry trends and best practices, and sharing this information with the team and management;
- All Purple Guy associates are expected to participate in weekly staff meetings and encouraged to complete a minimum of three (3) hours of volunteer work each quarter;
- All Purple Guys associates are expected to meaningfully express themselves either internally or externally to better spring ideas and viable solutions; every associate is expected to operate with integrity, care about the success of our clients, work hard and take pride in the work they produce;
- Other duties as assigned.
- Minimum of a 3-5 years working as technical writer and technical documentation, preferably in an IT Environment, Associates Degree in Related Field, or suitable combination of education and relevant experience preferred;
- Demonstrated competency in MS Office suite, Adobe products, image-capture and/or other collaborative documentation toolsets.
- Demonstrated excellent communication skills, organization, facilitation, and communication and presentation skills along with a high degree of initiative, motivation and enthusiasm;
- Ability to prioritize workflow and organize diverse material and ability to handle multiple, competing and changing priorities; ability to thrive within a fast-paced, high pressure environment, and ability to perform effectively without supervision and within established time limits and ongoing deadlines and excellent problem solving ability;
- Ability to interact effectively and professionally, and provide exceptional service, both internally and externally at all times.
All associates are expected to exhibit exemplary customer service skills, both with external customers, vendors, visitors, co-workers, and management staff and have the ability to thrive in a fast-paced, high pressure environment. Their written and verbal communication skills should be concise and effective, they should aspire to excellence in both work and customer service, they should show courtesy to all they encounter while representing The Purple Guys. They are also expected to maintain an air of professionalism in their interpersonal relationships and personal grooming, exercise confidentiality concerning the affairs of the business, exhibit a willingness to learn, willingness to problem solve and willingness to step in to help others, and openly and actively participates in the direction of our Company. They are expected to have a positive attitude and strong moral character. The Purple Guys views each of these traits as performance indicators, and associate appraisals reflect each of these attributes as an element of performance upon which associates are rated.
While performing the duties of this position the associate is regularly required to sit and talk and hear. The associate is frequently required to use hands to finger, handle or feel and reach with hands and arms. The associate is occasionally required to stand, walk, and drive or ride in a motor vehicle. The associate must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 lbs. Must have the ability to travel, sometimes with short notice.